What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
On the nightly news, a seemingly reoccurring theme is breaking stories about the latest natural disaster. We routinely see wildfires in the west, tornadoes in the south, hurricanes in the east, and blizzards in the north. As a result, homeowners living in disaster-prone parts of the country may consider moving.
But where would be the safest state to move to?
Nowhere in the United States is entirely immune from nature’s wrath. However, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), there are five states you may want to consider.
#5 Ohio – This state is the first of four Midwestern states to make the list. Its location west of the Appalachian Mountains and south of Lake Erie protects its population from many common natural disasters. However, the state is not wholly immune to tornados making regular, annual appearances.
#4 – Vermont – Heading the north, Vermont is mostly forest, protecting it from many natural disasters. When a natural disaster does occur, the state is considered one of the best-funded and equipped in the nation.
#3 – Illinois – Our list returns to the Midwest to the Land of Lincoln. Tornadoes are common here; however, their severity is lower than their western counterparts. In addition, Lake Michigan reduces the threat of severe blizzards in the winter in the north.
#2 – Minnesota – The twin cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul is considered one of the safest places to live from natural disasters. While snowfall can be heavy at times, massive blizzards are less common than you may think, although over 6,000 rivers and 14,000 lakes pose an increased flood risk than in other states.
According to NOAA, #1 – Michigan – Two landmasses connected by the 5-mile Mackinaw bridge create the nation’s safe state from natural disasters. Protected on three sides by the Great Lakes, tornados are rare, winters milder than neighboring states, and only minor exposure to earthquakes exists.
If you are ready to pack it up and head to our country’s safest place from natural disasters, the beautiful state of Michigan is your top choice. For most of us, though, moving isn’t a realistic option. So if you won’t be packing up and relocating, your next best option is to make sure you have the right coverage to protect your life, limbs, and property. Let’s set up a time now to go over your coverage and make sure you and your family have sufficient protection.
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas