6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
It's that time of year again - the cold weather is here! Unfortunately, though cold weather offers many fun seasonal activities, it can also be uncomfortable and dangerous. To stay safe and healthy during the cold weather, make sure to follow these six tips:
Stay well nourished - To avoid feeling sluggish and out of energy, it is essential to stay well-nourished. Eat nutritious food that will give you the energy you need. In addition, drink plenty of fluids, especially if you exercise outside in cold weather conditions.
Stay well rested - Getting enough rest is essential for health and well-being as your body expends more energy during winter than in warmer months. Most physicians recommend between seven and nine hours of sleep per night.
Take a break - When you feel overwhelmed by the cold or need some time out from all the hustle and bustle of winter life, take a moment for yourself. Go for a walk outdoors or enjoy a hot bath! Soothe your throat and lungs with steamy teas to ease congestion.
Stay dry - Keeping yourself dry in wet and cold weather is crucial. Make sure you dress appropriately by wearing layers and choosing cold weather-appropriate materials. This means warm layers underneath with moisture-repellent outer clothing to keep dampness at bay.
Keep a cold weather kit - When traveling in cold weather, it is important to pack the essentials in your cold weather safety kit. Make sure you have clothing and footwear suitable for the conditions, along with plenty of water and snacks.
Plan ahead - Before heading out, plan for the unknown. An untimely vehicle breakdown or sudden change in the weather could leave you unprepared for the elements outside. Map alternative routes and let family or friends know where you are headed.
Cold weather can be a dangerous time for your health, as weather conditions can increase the chance of colds and flu. To keep yourself safe and healthy, follow the tips listed above. And if you are experiencing any cold-related symptoms, such as drowsiness or chest congestion, seek medical attention immediately.
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas