Know the Benefits of Walking
We know exercise is inherently good for us. But you don’t have to be a professional bodybuilder or Olympic athlete to reap the benefits of exercise. According to the U.S. Department of Health, we should target 150 minutes of moderate-intensity weekly workouts. Fortunately, this includes walking!
7 Health Benefits of Walking
Cardiovascular activities like walking can provide a myriad of health benefits. A few of the most impressive include:
Lose weight – Walking burns calories, which can help you lose or maintain weight. How fast, far, and often you walk will determine how many calories you burn.
Reduce stress – By releasing endorphins and lowering cortisol, walking can elevate your mood while reducing stress and anxiety.
Soothe joint pain – Cartilage in the body doesn’t receive blood without movement. Walking compresses cartilage helping it fill with oxygen and nutrients to support joint health.
Lower blood sugar – A few studies have shown that walking after eating can lower blood sugar and reduce spikes.
Improve circulation – Walking lowers blood pressure, which helps the heart pump more effectively.
Strengthen the heart – With regular exercise like walking, the risk of coronary heart disease can drop up to 19%.
Boost immune system – Regular exercise may reduce the likelihood of catching the flu or a cold and lessen symptoms if you do become sick.
3 Surprising Benefits of Walking
While we may be aware of the health benefits of walking, there are a few other things to gain that may make regular walks even more appealing.
Curb cravings – A University of Exeter study found that a 15-minute walk can curb your cravings for certain sweets such as chocolate.
Improve sleep – If you have trouble sleeping and feel tired most days, walking an hour each morning can relieve insomnia symptoms.
Think creatively – A study found that people were better able to come up with new ideas while walking than individuals who were sitting.
Reasons to Start Walking
Regardless of your age or level of fitness, regular walks can fulfill your daily recommended exercise needs. To begin, all you need is a comfortable and supportive pair of walking shoes and breathable clothes… and maybe a good friend to join you!
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas